History in Brief

Lynchburg Museum System
Museum System News. Four oil portraits owned by the Museum System have just been restored by the Richmond Conservation Studio and have been placed on exhibition. The Morgan portrait was recently donated by the August Forsberg descendants who generously paid for the restoration.
Caroline M. Morgan, ca. 1840 (1805-1883) married James Morgan, wealthy Lynchburg tobacconist, and managed his large estate after his early demise. She is buried in Old City Cemetery.
Edward Sanford Gregory, ca. 1862 (1843-1884) joined the Lynchburg Rifles of the 11th Virginia Infantry in 1861. After the Civil War, his careers included teacher, journalist, clergyman, and published poet. He is buried in Presbyterian Cemetery.
Samuel McGregor Scott (1798-1878) and Camilla Payne Scott (1803-1883). The portraits in matching original frames date ca. 1840. Scott inherited the Locust Thicket plantation on what is now Old Forest Road and farmed other holdings in Bedford County. He and his wife moved to Texas in 1857 and are buried in Dallas.
Lynchburg Museum First Fridays. The Lynchburg Museum at the Old Court House is open every First Friday of the month from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. A different history topic is highlighted each month. Admission is free, and the Museum is on the free trolley circuit.
Museum System Upcoming Events. The Lynchburg Museum, 901 Court Street, and Point of Honor, 112 Cabell Street, are open Monday through Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and Sunday, noon to 4:00 p.m. Contact the museum educator for group tours and special programs: (434) 455-4424 or whitney.roberts@lynchburgva.gov. Visit us at lynchburgmuseum.org and pointofhonor.org, or find us on Facebook.
October 5—Day at the Point
Point of Honor will host the 16th Annual Day at the Point. This fall festival brings together living history, food, kids’ games and crafts, period music, a full-size batteau, Gift Shop sale, and more each year. 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. • Free.
November 11—Veteran’s Day
Museum and Point of Honor open to visitors 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. • Free.
December 1—Christmas Open House at Point of Honor
Point of Honor, one of Lynchburg’s architectural jewels, will host its 31st Annual Open House. Decorated for Christmas in 1815, the home will feature native greens, yule log, and customs of the day. Join us for period music, refreshments, and a special sale in our Gift Shop. Noon to 4:00 p.m. • Free.

Jones Memorial Library
Library Upcoming Lectures. The John D. Owen 2013–2014 Lecture Series offers interesting and informative presentations. Lectures take place in the reading room of Jones Memorial Library, 2311 Memorial Avenue. 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. • No Charge.
October 16, 2013—Putting
Piedmont Virginia on the Map
by William C. Wooldridge, author of Mapping Virginia
November 20, 2013—Civil War Christmas: A Snapshot of Blue and Gray
by Mary Kathryn McIntosh
March 19, 2014—Twenty-Five Years at Estate Specialists, Inc.
by Betty Davidson Ligon
April 16, 2014—Joel Sweeney
by David Wooldridge, Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, and Corbin Hayslett, banjoist
May 21, 2014—Brookie Abbot: Lynchburg Artist
by James Calloway Langhorne, author

New London Museum
New London News. The Friends of New London (FNL) organization has had a very active 2013 and is pushing ahead with field archaeology, events planning, and fundraising to preserve the 1763 Mead’s Tavern in historic New London village. The Campbell County Board of Supervisors has approved rezoning of the Mead’s Tavern property to accommodate its use as a museum and FNL office. Randy Lichtenberger, chairman and archaeologist, has led field archaeology survey efforts of FNL volunteers and students from Randolph College and the University of Tennessee. Colonial and tavern artifacts recovered will be highlighted in a program scheduled as part of FNL’s 2013 Fall Festival. The theme of the Fall Festival is “350 Years, The Birth and Rebirth of Mead’s Tavern,”  to commemorate the 350th anniversary of the end of the French and Indian War, the construction of Mead’s Tavern, and FNL’s capital campaign to restore the tavern section of the structure to its colonial appearance.
Fundraising efforts include sales of New London Today & Yesterday by Daisy I. Read, first published in 1950 and re-published in 2011 by FNL and Warwick House Publishing. On April 6, FNL hosted a Revolutionary War encampment and demonstration by the 7th Virginia Infantry Regiment. Many visitors enjoyed music, food, and history displays at the annual New London Day on May 4.
FNL presented a Lifetime Achievement Award to Mr. Rucker Tibbs at New London Airport on July 6 in recognition of his many contributions as a WW II veteran and member of the Virginia Aviation Hall of Fame. On July 14, Doug Washington presented a program on the history of Timberlake. FNL’s August 3 program was on the family of Robert Yancey and included a showing of The Vanishing Virginian, a movie about Captain Bob Yancey which was filmed in the area and had its world premiere at Lynchburg’s Paramount Theater in January 1942. 
New London Upcoming Events. Planning is under way to coordinate with local organizations and communities as part of the Civil War Sesquicentennial and the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Lynchburg. During that campaign, Union and Confederate armies marched through, with delaying actions and skirmishing at New London village June 15 through June 19, 1864.  For more information about this and other Friends of New London–sponsored events, please visit newlondonmuseum.org or find FNL on Facebook.
October 5, 2013—Fall Festival at Mead’s Tavern
December 8, 2013—Christmas Program
February 14, 2014—Valentine’s Day Dinner
April 2014 (tba)—Revolutionary War Encampment and Demonstration
June 2014 (tba)—8th Annual New London Day and the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Lynchburg

Legacy Museum of African American History
Legacy Upcoming Events. The Museum’s current exhibit, “Trouble Don’t Las’ Always:” African American Life in Central Virginia During and after the Civil War, 1860-1890, will be on display until June 2014. For information about the exhibit or other events, visit legacymusem.org or call (434) 845-3455. The Legacy Museum is located at 403 Monroe Street, Lynchburg, Virginia. Open Wednesday–Saturday from noon to 4:00 p.m. and Sunday 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Other times by appointment.
 October 19—Harambee Festival
The word harambee means “let’s pull together.” This festival is an opportunity for the Lynchburg community to pull together and show its support of the Legacy Museum. We will have music, dance, food, demonstrations of heritage crafts, and hands-on activities for children. 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
 November 3—Super Sunday: Remembering the Vision with an Expression of Gratitude
The highlight of this event will be a time to remember those who gave so much to help make the vision of the Legacy Museum a reality. “Super Sunday” will take place at the Galleria on Main Street. 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
November 9—Presentation on the Life of Elizabeth Hobbs Keckly
In connection with its current exhibit, Trouble Don’t Las’ Always:  African American Life in Central Virginia During and After the Civil War, 1860-1890, the Legacy Museum will host a presentation by Linda Lipscomb, site director of the Museum of the Confederacy, Appomattox, Virginia. The presentation will be about Elizabeth Hobbs Keckly. Elizabeth was born a slave, learned to become a seamstress, bought her freedom, and became the modiste for Mary Todd Lincoln during the Lincoln years in the White House. The presentation will begin at 2:00 p.m.

Old City Cemetery
Cemetery Upcoming Events. The Old City Cemetery presents informative and fun programs throughout the year. All events take place on the Cemetery grounds. Guided tours are available, advance reservations are required. The Cemetery Center is open Monday through Saturday, except for April, May, and October when the Center is open 7 days. Hours are 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., however, the grounds are open daily sunrise to sunset. Programs are free unless otherwise noted ($). For more information call (434) 847-1465 or email karen@gravegarden.org. The Cemetery is located at 401 Taylor Street, Lynchburg, VA 24501.
October 13—Opera to Live For!
A concert showcasing the beauty of the human voice, in a unique and intimate setting. Four soloists, accompanied by piano, will offer selections from opera, operetta, art song, and Broadway. Don’t miss this special evening of music! Chapel. 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Reservations required.
October 20—Autumn Afternoon Tour
Guided walking tour highlighting the history and horticulture on the grounds near the peak of fall color. 3:00 p.m.
October 31—All Hallows Eve Service
Annual Episcopal service in the Chapel. Halloween Costumes welcome. 5:00 p.m.
November 30—Victorian Ornaments Workshop $
Learn the history of decorating trees for the holidays in the 19th century and how to make your own ornaments. Victorian historian Mary Kathryn McIntosh conducts this workshop.
10:00 a.m. Reservation required • Fee.
December 14—Wreaths Across America Ceremony
As part of a nationwide event, wreaths will be placed on the graves of veterans in memory of fallen soldiers and in honor of those who are currently serving in the armed forces. In front of the Chapel. 12:00 noon. 
December 15—Holiday Open House
The Cemetery’s historic museums will be open to the public and decorated for the holidays with greenery from the cemetery grounds. Stop by the Cemetery Center for hot cider and cookies and last minute gifts. 1:00 p.m.to 4:00 p.m.

Poplar Forest
Poplar Forest Upcoming Events. Visitors come to Poplar Forest to see the latest discoveries and restored features, as well as to sense Jefferson’s presence in the house and feel an emotional connection to the man, his ideas, his boundless energy, and his ingenuity. Poplar Forest is open seven days a week March 15–December 30, and on weekends January 18–March15. Hours are from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Call (434) 525-1806 or visit poplarforest.org to plan your visit. Our address is 1542 Bateman Bridge Road, Forest, Virginia, 24551. Please check our website for updates to our calendar of events.
October 26—Legends of the Land
Experience Mr. Jefferson’s retreat in a whole new light. Listen to traditional African American storytellers divulge period folktales and myths as you take an evening lantern tour of the plantation. Also see if there are any ghoulish activities at Poplar Forest with local paranormal group, After Life Investigations! Participate in stargazing activities with Dr. Neal Sumerlin, retired founding director of the Belk Observatory at Lynchburg College. Admission in $15.00. Program begins at 6:00 p.m. Reservations required. Please call the Museum Shop at (434) 534-8120.
November 6, 7,12, 20—Candlelight Tour
Catch a rare glimpse inside the octagonal walls after dark. Learn how Jefferson and his family passed the time after the sun set. Museum Shop will be open until 7:00 p.m. for holiday shopping. There will also be interpretive, period-style cooking in Jefferson’s kitchen. $20.00. Program begins at 5:30 p.m. Reservations required. Please call the Museum Shop at (434) 534-8120.
November 16—Thomas Jefferson Wine Festival
Raise a glass with Mr. Jefferson as we celebrate his passion for wine. Featuring Virginia wineries, artisans, local food vendors, and music. The festival begins at 11:00 a.m. and ends at 5:00 p.m.
December 15 —Holiday Open House
Experience Mr. Jefferson’s home decorated with period-inspired holiday decorations. Admission is free with a donation of non-perishable food for the Lynchburg Daily Bread or for our furry friends at the Bedford Humane Society.

^ Top
Previous page: Editor's Letter
Next page: Spring 2014
Site Map