History in Brief
Museum System | News.In June, Mayor Michael Gillette proclaimed Lynchburg’s “Year of the River” in honor of Experience The James: Lynchburg’s Pathway to the World. The exhibit opened in June and runs through December 2015. Objects on display include prehistoric tools, ceramics, tobacco-related items, art, and items recovered from sunken vessels that plied the river and canals. Some of the earliest bricks made in North America, fishhooks, Native American trade goods, food remains, and pottery are included from recent excavations in Jamestown fort. Pirates and floods are part of the story, as is the damage done by man to the river and efforts to restore water quality and native species. An ambitious program schedule has been developed including outdoor events, lectures, camps for kids and teachers, and much more. The Museum is in partnership with Amazement Square, Lynch’s Landing, Lynchburg Parks and Recreation, Lynchburg Water Resources, the James River Association, and the Virginia Canals and Navigations Society. Partners are hosting programs linked to the exhibit as a joint venture with the Museum. For more information, please visit www.experiencethejames. com for upcoming events and programs. The Experience The James exhibit is funded by the Bank of the James, City of Lynchburg, James River Arts and Cultural District, James River Association, discoverlynchburg, and the Lynchburg Museum System Foundation. The Museum borrowed images and artifacts from Preservation Virginia/Jamestown Rediscovery, Colonial Williamsburg, regional artists, Library of Virginia, Lynchburg College, E.C. Glass Art Collection, Hampton Roads Naval Museum, Maier Museum of Art, Archeological Society of Department of Historic Resources, Virginia Canals and Navigations Society, Virginia Historical Society, and others.
Lynchburg Museum | First Fridays. The Lynchburg Museum at the Old Court House is open every First Friday of the month from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. A different history topic is highlighted each month. Admission is free, and the Museum is on the free trolley circuit.
Museum System | Upcoming Events.The Lynchburg Museum, 901 Court Street, and Point of Honor, 112 Cabell Street, are open Monday through Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and Sunday, noon to 4:00 p.m. Contact the museum educator for group tours and special programs: (434) 455-4424 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Visitus at lynchburgmuseum.org and pointofhonor. org, or find us on Facebook.
November 11—Veteran’s Day
Museum and Point of Honor open to visitors 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. • Free.
December 7—Christmas Open House at Point of Honor
Point of Honor, one of Lynchburg’s architectural jewels, will host its 32nd Annual Open House. Decorated for Christmas in 1815, the home will feature native greens, yule log, and customs of the day. Join us for period music, refreshments, and a special sale in our Gift Shop. Noon to 4:00 p.m. • Free.
January 16—Kids Night at the Museum
Kids ages 8–12 enjoy a night of fun activities at the Museum: scavenger hunt, James River art, pizza, popcorn, movie, and much more! 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. • $25 per child
February 26—End of the Canal: The Railroads Advance
Tour the Lynchburg Museum’s exhibit, Experience The James: Lynchburg’s Pathway to the World starting at 3:00 p.m., then hear the Museum’s former director and historian Tom Ledford speak about the coming of the railroads. • $10 non-members
March 12—Battle of the Ironclads
Join historian and former director of the Virginia War Museum, John Quarstein for Battle of the Ironclads after you tour the Experience The James exhibit. 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. • $10 non-members
Cemetery | Upcoming Events.
The Old City Cemetery presents informative and fun programs throughout the year. All events take place on the Cemetery grounds. Guided tours are available, advance reservations are required. The Cemetery Center is open Monday through Saturday, except for April, May, and October when the Center is open 7 days. Hours are 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., however the grounds are open daily sunrise to sunset. Programs are free unless otherwise noted ($). For more information call (434) 847-1465 or email email@example.com. The Cemetery is located at 401 Taylor Street, Lynchburg, VA 24501.
October 16, 17, 18, 23, 24, and 25—Candlelight Tours of Old City Cemetery
Come early to enjoy the glorious fall foliage in the Cemetery and stay for the candlelight tour! Follow your guide by candlelight as you visit the graves of Lynchburg citizens and hear costumed actors tell the original stories of the colorful people buried here or of those that have a connection to the Cemetery. Hot
cider, hot chocolate, and cookies served at the end of the tour. Tours begin at 6:10 p.m. and start every 20 minutes until 7:50 p.m. A tour lasts approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. • $17.50 for adults and $10.00 for children under 13.
October 19—Autumn Afternoon Tour
Enjoy a guided walking tour highlighting the history and horticulture on the grounds as the Cemetery nears the peak of fall color. 3:00 p.m. • Free
October 31—All Hallows Eve Service
Annual Episcopal service in the Cemetery Chapel. Halloween Costumes welcome. 5:30 p.m.
December 6—Wreath Making Workshop
Make your own natural holiday wreath with greenery from the Cemetery grounds. All materials are provided. Seating is limited and pre-registration is required. 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. • $50
December 13—Wreaths Across America Ceremony
The Blue Ridge and James River Chapters of NSDAR of Lynchburg are sponsoring this seventh annual ceremony at the Cemetery. As part of a nationwide event, wreaths will be placed on the graves of veterans in memory of fallen soldiers and honor those who are currently serving in the armed forces. At 12:00 noon the ceremony begins in front of the Cemetery Chapel. Afterwards the public will be invited to lay these wreaths on the individual graves in the Confederate Section. Donations for the wreaths are welcome. Please call 237-3354 for more information.
December 14—Holiday Open House & Concert
Stop by the Cemetery Center for hot cider and cookies and last-minute gifts from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Our Holiday concert begins in the Chapel at 4:00 p.m. Reservations required. • Free
Library | Upcoming Lectures.
The John D. Owen 2013– 2014 Lecture Series offers interesting and informative presentations. Lectures take place in the reading room of Jones Memorial Library, 2311 Memorial Avenue. 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. • No Charge.
October 15—A Fortune in Our Midst: The Life of Thomas Fortune Ryan of Nelson County, Virginia
by Robert Wimer, retired editorial page editor for The News & Advance
This is the story about how Thomas Fortune Ryan, a native of Lovingston in Nelson County, rose from meager beginnings in the years before the Civil War to become one of the shrewdest builders of wealth Wall Street had ever seen. After amassing a fortune of as much as $200 million, he retired to Oak Ridge in Nelson in 1901 and transformed the relatively small Federal-style structure into a 50-room Colonial-style mansion.
November 19—City Water Works: Two Centuries of Safety and Service to Lynchburg
by Tom G. Ledford, retired Lynchburg Museum director
Tracing the history of Lynchburg’s water works from the early 19th century, retired Lynchburg Museum director Tom Ledford explores the origin and evolution of one of the city’s oldest services and highlights its role in public safety, public health, and economic development. This illustrated lecture features the contributions of men who were instrumental in creating the water resource we now enjoy in Lynchburg, including John Lynch, Albert Stein, August Forsberg, and Martin Johnson.
March 18—The Civil War Hospitals of Lynchburg, Virginia
byTed Delaney, director of the Old City Cemetery
During the Civil War Lynchburg was home to the second largest permanent hospital center in the Confederacy. At times there were more sick and wounded soldiers in the city than residents. Delaney will give an illustrated overview of this astounding medical complex, including its general and specialty hospitals, its remarkable leaders, and the forgotten men and women—free and enslaved—who worked tirelessly to relieve suffering and save lives.
April 15—Monumental Art in the Presbyterian Cemetery: Part 2
by Edie Light, executive director
The lecturer will discuss several prominent Lynchburg families buried in the Presbyterian Cemetery and include information about their personal lives and as well as anecdotes. The Presbyterian Cemetery was opened in 1823 and is the burial spot for many of Lynchburg’s families.
Poplar Forest | Upcoming Events.
Visitors come to Poplar Forest to see the latest discoveries and restored features, as well as to sense Jefferson’s presence in the house and feel an emotional connection to the man, his ideas, his boundless energy, and his ingenuity. Poplar Forest is open seven days a week, March 15 through December 30 (closed on Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day). Hours are from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., with the last tour leaving at 4:05. Poplar Forest is now also open on winter weekends from January 18 to March 9 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., with the last tour leaving at 3:05 p.m. Call (434) 525-1806 or visit poplarforest.org. Our address is 1542 Bateman Bridge Road, Forest, Virginia 24551. Please check our website for updates to our calendar of events.
October 25—Legends of the Land (Rain Date: November 1)
Experience Mr. Jefferson’s retreat in a whole new light as you take an evening lantern tour of the plantation. Admission is $15 for adults, $10 for children 6–16, and free for children under 6. Program begins at 5:30 p.m. Reservations required. Please call the Museum Shop at (434) 534-8120.
November 15—Thomas Jefferson Wine Festival
Thomas Jefferson called wine “…a necessary of life with me.” This November, thousands of like-minded wine enthusiasts will gather at his secluded plantation to toast the “Father of Virginia Wine” in the sixth annual Thomas Jefferson Wine Festival. This year’s festival will feature 15+ Virginia wineries, along with artisans, local food purveyors and musical entertainment. Mr. Jefferson, as portrayed by Bill Barker, will engage in a lively discussion of wine with Gabriele Rausse—the renowned vintner who revived Jefferson’s grapes at Monticello and is credited with revolutionizing the wine industry in Virginia. The Thomas Jefferson Wine Festival is held inside large, heated tents, rain or shine. Tasting tickets include a complimentary wine glass. Because this is an adult event, there are no children’s activities available. We ask that attendees refrain from bringing outside food or drink. With the exception of service dogs, pets are prohibited. The festival begins at 11:00 a.m. and ends at 5:00 p.m. Tickets are $20 in advance (highly recommended); $25 at the door; and $10 non-tasting tickets (ages 12+). Ages 11 and under are free. Purchase tickets online or by calling the Museum Shop at (434) 534-8120.
December 5, 11, 18, and 20— Candlelight Tour
Catch a rare glimpse inside the octagonal walls of the plantation house after dark. Learn how Jefferson and his family passed the time after the sun set. Program begins at 5:30 p.m. $20 per person. Reservations required. Please call the Museum Shop at (434) 534-8120.
Previous page: From the Editor
Next page: Spring 2015